Cocoa Beach is located in Brevard County in Florida. It is a city with a population of 11,539 according to the 2018 United States Census. The city is a vital part of the Palm Bay-Melbourne-Titusville, Florida Metropolitan Statistical Area.
Vital information about Cocoa Beach.
Here are some important information about this small city.
|Country||United States of America|
|• Total||15.19 sq mi (39.34 km2)|
|• Land||4.66 sq mi (12.06 km2)|
|• Water||10.53 sq mi (27.28 km2)|
|Elevation||10 ft (3 m)|
|• Estimate (2019)||11,705|
|• Density||2,512.88/sq mi (970.16/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC−5 (Eastern (EST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC−4 (EDT)|
|GNIS feature ID||0284502|
Short history of the city
In 1888, the entire tract of land now known as Cocoa Beach was bought by a group of men. They left the land underdeveloped. In 1923, the land was bought by one of the men in the group, Gus Edwards. he stopped practicing his profession as a lawyer to concentrate on developing his land holdings.
Snippets of important facts and information about Cocoa Beach.
- It is formerly known as Oceanus before being incorporated. It was established on June 5, 1925.
- The first meeting was held on July 27, 1925, at Cocoa beach casino. The meeting resulted in the adoption of the city seal among others. Gus Edwards was also elected mayor.
- There were only about 49 residents in 1939.
- During World War 2, Cocoa Beach became a witness to German U-boat activities in their nearby waters.
- The town of Cocoa Beach was incorporated on June 29, 1957. The town sold its water system To Cocoa but part of the agreement was for the water system to furnish the town their water needs.
- 1959 saw the town building more sidewalks, and streets.
- The first local store was opened by Ron-Jon in 1961.
- Major growth started in the 1960s.
- Population increase from 1950 to 1960 was 1000%