Merritt Island is actually a census-designated place and not a full city. The island is found in Brevard County, Florida.in the United States.
Located along the Atlantic Ocean and on the Eastern Floridian coast. It is nicely situated to give more protection for space related industries.
Important facts and figures about Merritt Island.
|• Total||47.2 sq mi (122.2 km2)|
|• Land||17.5 sq mi (45.4 km2)|
|• Water||29.7 sq mi (76.8 km2)|
|Elevation||3 ft (1 m)|
|• Density||740/sq mi (280/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-5 (Eastern (EST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-4 (EDT)|
|GNIS feature ID||0294625|
Other important facts and information about the island.
- Part of the Palm Bay – Melbourne – Titusville, Florida Metropolitan Statistical Area.
- The area was part of a land grant given by the King to a nobleman named Merritt.
- The Island is under the administrative care of the Brevard County local government.
Notable landmarks found in Merritt Island.
- Kennedy Space Center
- Merritt Island National Wildlife Refuge
- Merritt Island Airport
- J. R. Field Homestead
- Hacienda del Sol, a large historic agricultural estate.
- Haulover Canal
- Merritt Island Dragon
- Dr. George E. Hill House
- Ulumay Wildlife Sanctuary
- Canaveral Barge Canal
- Kiwanis Island Park
- Merritt Island Rotary Park Nature Trail and Center
- Futch Cove on Banana Creek (location of Apollo/Saturn Visitors Center)
- Pine Island Conservation Area, 950 acres preserve. Pine Island contains Sam’s House, built in 1875. It is Brevard’s oldest standing structure.
- Old St. Luke’s Episcopal Church and Cemetery
Brevard County is continuously funding a redevelopment agency for the island. The NASA-related industrial activities are in support of the rocket launches in Cape Canaveral and the Space Shuttle program. Tourists and workers on the island are brought about by the work and industries brought about by the US Space program.
- Family income = $52,388 (Meridian)
- Income for males = $41,393 (Meridian)
- Household income = $43,532 (Meridian)
- Income for females = $25,787 (Meridian)
- Per capita income = $23,961
- Below the poverty line:
- Population = 9.4%
- Families = 7.2%
Read more about our other service areas.