Rockledge is a city located in Brevard County in Florida. It is a special part of the statistical area of Palm Bay−Melbourne−Titusville Metropolitan Statistical Area.
Rockledge city is the oldest in Brevard County. The city was incorporated in 1887.
Things to know about Rockledge city in Florida.
|Country||United States of America|
|Founded||August 7, 1887|
|Founded by||Gardner S. Hardee|
|• Mayor||Thomas J. Price|
|• City manager||James P. “Jim” McKnight|
|• Deputy mayor, chairman||Frank T. Forrester|
|• Vice chairman||Richard K. “Dick” Blake|
|• Total||13.59 sq mi (35.21 km2)|
|• Land||12.13 sq mi (31.41 km2)|
|• Water||1.47 sq mi (3.80 km2)|
|Elevation||23 ft (7 m)|
|• Estimate (2019)||28,227|
|• Density||2,327.23/sq mi (898.53/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-5 (Eastern (EST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-4 (EDT)|
|GNIS feature ID||0294132[|
Rockledge city historical facts.
- It was officially founded on August 7, 1887.
- The city is the oldest incorporated municipality in Brevard County.
- It is initially called Rock Ledge. It only became Rockledge in the late 19th century.
- Rockledge was known as a resort town in the early 20th century.
- It became a bedroom community during the advent of the US space program and also because of its proximity to the Kennedy Space Center.
Geography of the city
Rockledge is bounded on the west by the St. Johns River and some scrubland and to the east by the Indian River Lagoon and Merritt Island (unincorporated) on the opposite shore, north by Cocoa, to the south by Viera (unincorporated) and Melbourne.
Climates and seasons
There are 2 major seasons for the city. Dry season is from October to May with less frequent rains. June to September brings in the hot and rainy season.
Climate for the area is humid subtropical.